Thursday, May 7, 2015

Lentils Du Puy


Everyone says lentils are good for you.
Healthy.  Nutritious.
So, of course, I avoided lentils.

Until I sampled a lentil dish at Cobras & Matadors (now an Umami Burger).  They were a little crispy which was revelation.

Until I read about the lentil du puy, what David Leibovitz calls the caviar of lentils.  A caviar a writer can afford?!

Okay, you sold me.

The key is not to overcook the lentils.  You have to keep a watchful eye, taste.  Sauteed the bacon and veggies separately, using what I had on hand which always makes me feel good.  Hate wasting food.  Drain the lentils, add a generous splash of good balsamic vinegar.  Mix in carrots, celery, home grown onions, and folded in the spinach last.  Season.  Roasted the shrimp separately as well.  Ten minutes in the oven at 425 degrees.

It's a satisfying weeknight meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment