Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Why I Mentor

Choosing Lucy Wang to mentor me turned out to be an excellent decision. I started working with her in December 2014 and since then, kept going back to her again and again. The reason why I keep going back to her is that I trust her deeply and fully: I trust her talent and capacity as a mentor and teacher. I trust her warmth and care as a human being. I trust her respect for the art of playwriting; that she understands what it is that drives us as writers; makes us want to write.
With Lucy, you don’t just get a mentor who guides you with structuring your play and helping you improve dialogue and create a compelling plot. She’s not just a mentor who helps you identify your strengths and work on your weaknesses. She adjusts herself to her students’ temperament. If you have a crisis of confidence as an artist, if you suffer from doubts; she’ll be there for you. Standing by you and encouraging you but without a hint of pushiness. You just feel her presence and feel reassured.

When you submit your writing, Lucy’s feedback is prompt even when she’s in the midst of working on her own show. Even when she’s in the middle of travelling; even when there is a family crisis in her own private life. She gets back to you and her feedback is consistently specific and detailed. She reads your work thoroughly and gives you constructive criticism. I trust her so much that I look forward to her criticism. The more critical she is, the more confident I feel that my writing is going to improve. And every time, my writing does improve. I learn something new, I discover that I have skills I have not been aware of before. Lucy is just wonderful.

I count myself lucky to have Lucy as my mentor. With her I’m in safe hands. With her I can walk on unchartered ground, knowing that if I stumble and fall, Lucy will be there to help me stand up again and walk. She’s the best you can get. Go for her.

Nushin. A.


No comments:

Post a Comment