Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Happy Students Make for Happy Lucy

Just finished a 40 min. video/chat with Lucy via ZOOM link. I gotta tell you she is one fine instructor. She's flexible, responsive and really in touch with the day-to-day problems of the student/writer.
 
I started out wanting to learn to do an adaptation and chose my own screenplay.  It became obvious, pretty quickly, that  I wasn't going to be able to divorce myself from the storyline or characters enough to think of the story on stage. Sooooo, we did a quick switch and I picked a movie I liked to adapt, to whit, "Casablanca". 
 
Again, pulling away from the original story and power of the actors proved to be really difficult, but Lucy was really good at pushing me and supporting me. The result is a one act play "Laszlo" (the title is explained in the Programme Note). 
 
Working with Lucy was a real eye-opener in terms of learning to see how my dialog and actions would play on stage.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment