Friday, January 29, 2016

Year of the Dumpling


HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR

We're coming up that time of year again.  That time of year where I roll up my sleeves and make potstickers.   Living in Southern California, it's easy to find delicious dumplings in the San Gabriel Valley.  There are so many wonderful dumpling houses like Mama Lu's, Din Tai Fung, JJ Dumpling, et al that offer a great variety of dumplings -- pork, fish, shrimp, chicken, vegetarian -- and let's face it, many of us are overworked and over-scheduled.

Is it worth taking time to make hand fill and hand wrap dumplings when there are so many other good causes at stake?   Recently my father in law fell and was hospitalized.   We are at wit's end and feeling helpless.  Praying and hoping for a diagnosis, a treatment, positive news.   My mother in law called and said she had a very important question for me.  Her tone scared me a little since she doesn't often preface her questions with such a statement.

What is your recipe for the simplest beef stew?

A smile of relief.   Alas, there was something I could do.

Food is important.

Yes, homemade dumplings are still worth making at least once a year.  Even if it takes less time to devour them than to shop, mix, wrap and cook them.

Dumplings are like meatballs.  Everyone has their favorite fillings and an opinion on how thick the dough should be.   Me, I like variety so I often change it up.

This year I made pork shrimp chive shitake mushroom mixture.

1 lb ground pork
1 lb shrimp
a bunch of garlic chives
2 medium to large shitake mushrooms
garlic
ginger
soy sauce
sesame oil



I bought gyoza wrappers from H.K Market.
Pan-fried on one side.
Add water, steam to finish.




And of course, as the chef, I have do a taste test.





Happy Chinese New Year!  This is the year of the monkey.  Gong Xi Fa Cai!




No comments:

Post a Comment