Sunday, February 19, 2012

Power of Stories

In case you missed me, I've been blogging at the Annenberg Beach House as their writer in residence.  I can't believe how busy I've been, how fast time flies, and how powerful story circles are.

Feel blessed for all the press requests.  I was thrilled when Jason Kehe, a journalist from LA Magazine, came down Saturday to interview me before my second story circle, a tribute to Marion Davies, her gift of comedy, "Be Revolutionary:  Stand Up and Laugh."

There were about 25 people, with a few latecomers, occupying the Sand & Surf room over the pool.  It was so much fun, bursting with love and laughter.  We shared embarrassing moments, worst dates/Valentines, favorite comics, and stories of how humor enabled us to overcome.  

Is comedy = tragedy + time?

Comedy that left turn?  That kink in your plans?

Participants thanked me for creating a safe space where we can connect, remember who we were, who we are, and where we want to be.

Sharing stories is like swapping spit, kissing.  Creates an intimacy and a longing that you never want to end.  So, as the clock struck 4, R & R invited everyone to their home in Topanga Canyon at a future date to be determined to continue our love and laughter.  Just like the first story circle, history repeated itself.  Independently, too.  R & R did not know that after the first story circle, E & S invited us to their home.

Behold the power of your stories.  Our stories.

Be there, Tuesday night, for 99% Guerrilla Literature, 100% Fun
 http://youtu.be/Da_8c2OVHt4

No comments:

Post a Comment