Saturday, February 4, 2012

JUNK BONDS & GUERRILLA READS



The Occupy Movement energizing our country has brought renewed attention to my play JUNK BONDS.  Last October I was delighted when an American Studies class at Smith College in Northampton, MA studied my play, and then flew me out to discuss.


Paraphrased from the Wall Street Letter:  JUNK BONDS portrays a woman fighting for a chance to thrive on Wall Street -- only to find the man who gives her a chance and to whom she reports to is deceiving the firm.


Theme sound familiar?  It should.  It begs the question who can you trust?  Facebook?  Your investment adviser?  Google?  Bank of America? The Government?


The postcard for the original production at HOME:  Tapir, Inc., dares you to play a fast-paced game of  liar's poker as a young Asian American woman fights her way into the clubby, 
high rolling world of Wall Street.  Immense wealth, glamorous careers, and 
intoxicating power are at stake in pursuit of a fat slice of American pie.

Bill Maher says when his parents drove him to the rich neighborhoods, they never imagined they could afford it.  But their son, Bill Maher, can certainly afford to live in the toniest of neighborhoods.  Suze Orman said people don't necessarily dream about owning a home anymore, they just want a roof over their heads.  I remember when my parents drove us through rich neighborhoods, we definitely envied those houses.  My parents dreamt of owning a huge mansion, for sure.  My cousins in Arcadia and Monterey Park, one of the first questions they asked me, Is your living space over 2,000 square feet?



No.


The disappointment on their faces, heartbreaking.  Their judgments searing.  What a waste to come to America!


Yes.  It's true my family came to America to be rich, and I have failed them. Miserably.  Not even close.

Saw Mike Daisey on Bill Maher today.  Listening to Mike, following his journey -- it all gives me hope that our voice matters.  That we can change the world.  We now know.  Gloria Steinem says once you know, it's what you do with it.





That's why when yesterday a journalist asked me to do "logline" my own play, which I've always hated because it sounds so reductionist.  But this is what I came up with:

JUNK BONDS is about bluff and betrayal, trust and testosterone, about getting 
what you want and dealing with the consequences once you do.  



Now you know.  Whatcha gonna do?

No comments:

Post a Comment