Friday, July 28, 2017

Connie & Ted & Rob & Monica: An L.A. Story

Connie & Ted's may be most famous for their lobster rolls, but for me, the steamers are the main attraction. Steamers are ubiquitous on the east coast, but hard to find on the west coast because they break easily and don't transport well. So I always start with the steamers. This visit, the steamers were much better than my last visit. Only one or two were bad.

We went for dineLA week because the menu looked fine, and we knew we'd be hungry after Constellations. We were seated next to another couple Rob and Monica, and started bonding over beer. Connie & Ted's offers a fine list of craft beers, and the more variety, the more indecision. Thus spake Rob, who asked us what beers did we decide on, and how would we describe the taste. We offered Rob a taste which surprised all four of us.

You sure?
Oh wait. Do you have cooties?
Rob almost did a spittake in my beer, and warned me no more jokes for my own good.

After tasting our beers, Rob chose the puffed rice Japanese beer, and yes, offered us a taste in return.

Turns out it was Rob and Monica's first time to Connie & Ted's. We had a wonderful conversation over excellent food. We could've been in a Raymond Chandler short story ( a good one of course,) or a Steve Martin movie as we were trading L.A. stories, what brought us there, where we've eaten. Rob enjoyed his surf and turf. Monica opted for the lobster roll just like me. I started with the oysters, Monica started with the salad. My DH got the grilled sea bass, and the calamari with arugula. Our meals ended with the creamsicle and sickening sweet blondie.

I can't wait for my next platter of steamers, and to run into Rob and Monica again.



Don't touch my steamers



Calamari and arugua


Warm lobster roll


Seabass is the star, but
the pickled vegetables provided a nice crunch and contrast.

Regressing to childhood.

Four out of five dentists would disapprove.  



No comments:

Post a Comment