Thursday, December 4, 2014

Laurent Quenioux: A Retrospective of a Master Artist/Chef

No question, Chef Laurent Queinoux is a master chef and master artist.  This is less of a review of one meal, and more of a retrospective.

Like so many others, I've been a fan of LQ since his Bistro K days.  His "foodings" are always innovative, artistic, inspiring and of course, scrumptious.  How many Chefs continue to delight their customers dish after dish?  Push, experiment, hunt, gather, procure?  In this brutal economy, so many of us are forced to scrimp and save, hunker down, cut corners someway somehow-- but Chef Laurent does not compromise his craft.  Jamais!  LQ is always cooking.  This commitment to excellence and craft only makes me love LQ more because that is exactly how I feel about my craft (writing).  I only wish I had more loyal paying fans!  :-)


Cassoulet

Go to great lengths to bring you new tastes?  Cheeses?

Eric dazzles us with cheese

Like many others, we followed LQ to Bistro LQ on Melrose in West Hollywood to Starry Kitchen to Vertical Bistro.

His pop-ups often sell out quickly.  You have to reserve fast, and sometimes that makes it challenging to invite others.  The back and forth required to pick a date, time and commit -- well, all the tables could be snapped up before a consensus is reached.  You're also torn.  You want to spread the word to support LQ near and far because he is an international treasure, but you don't want to make it impossible for to get reservations next time.  I have foodie friends who do not share new gems for precisely this reason, they don't want to sabotage their chances of getting a table.

The past two pop-ups, however, I did invite some newbies to join in the culinary experience.  Oh my, what an incredible joy it was to see their eyes light up, to remember what it was like to taste LQ's cuisine for the very first time.  Yes.  You always remember your first.

My first egg meurette

As folks enter the dining room, many came over to say hello or waved.  One guest in our party was so impressed, he asked me I knew everyone.  The host recognizes me from Vermont and walks over to say hello.   Friends from Pleasure Palate could fill the room.   I had to laugh as my eyes scanned the room.  I guess after all these years, you do begin to recognize people, make friends, exchange hugs and bisous, and share.  Delicious joy has a way of bonding you to each other, organically.  After several wonderful meals, you feel like family.  LQ's extended family.  I've always wanted to be French!   If you are what you eat, I'm getting there one dish at a time.

Some other fine LQ dishes.







Frog legs



You're drooling, aren't you?

Hope to see you at the next LQ Fooding.  Don't forget to say hello :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment