Saturday, November 1, 2014

Vive La Difference!

As a lifetime Francophile who lives in California, and has the joy of dining at Chez Panisse a few times, I knew I had to add French Roots to my cookbook collection.


French Roots chronicles the romance and careers of married chefs Jean-Pierre Moulle and Denise Lurton Moulee as well as the evolution of food.   How the focus on fresh, local, sustainable has evolved from the seventies.   Yes, there's quite a bit of narrative for your "typical" cookbook, but this is no typical cookbook, and the writing inspires as much as the recipes.  

The Moulles say it is very French not to waste things -- but it's also very Chinese!  Perhaps I actually am Chinese French American.  I, too, garden on a much smaller scale (Can't afford a ranch in Sonoma) and do my best to use what I grow, and what I grow often guides my culinary creativity.  

A wonderful variety of recipes, ranging from quick and easy to slow and steady.   The photographs are gorgeous.  Some recipes that I cannot wait to try include leek salad with mustard vinaigrette and egg, marinated sardines, grilled eel skewers with pancetta and possibly the prunes armagnac ice cream.  The section on the wines of Bordeaux is an added bonus.  

French Roots reminds you how important food is, and how the art of the menu comes down to the ingredients and the people.  Simplicity reigns supreme.   A votre sante, France et California!

"I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment