Thursday, September 4, 2014

You Gonna Use That Pickle?


Who doesn't love a good pickle?  
I'm not sure I want to know that person.  Then again, that person would give me their pickle :-)

Karen Solomon has put together a collection of her favorite pickles from China, Japan, Korea, India and Southeast Asia.  It is not exhaustive, nor is it meant to be.  It amazes me how many things you can pickle, and how good they taste.  I especially love her recipes are completely devoid of preservatives, artifical colors and flavorings.  Some of the pickles take weeks, others take an hour.  As an organic gardener, I love having this guide so I can preserve the bounty and extend the season.  

The photographs are beautfiul and look fresh, like you can reach out and taste them.   I was pleasantly surprised to see a spinach with sesame recipe -- it fit the pantry and the palate.   Simply delicious.  Plus the spinach keeps for four days  in the refrigerator, if covered and refrigerated.  My garden is long on long beans, so I also enjoyed her salt-cured long beans with ginger. 

This book is a wonderful resource and guide for the pickle lover.


"I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review."

No comments:

Post a Comment